Individuals caught up in the criminal justice system are offered rehabilitative and supportive services to help them become productive members of the community. OAR’s primary service area is Fairfax County, but some services are available in Prince William and Loudoun Counties and to any others in the Washington Metropolitan area processed through the Fairfax County Court system. Family programs are open to all in need, regardless of residency.
OAR makes a difference in our entire community. Statistics clearly show that incarceration alone does little to eliminate crime or create a safer community. Recidivism (A tendency to relapse into a former pattern of behavior, esp. a tendency to return to criminal habits) affects not only the offender, but also the victim of the crime, the children and family of the offender, taxpayers, and the community as a whole. OAR provides Opportunities, Alternatives and Resources to rebuild lives and break the cycle of crime. OAR programs and services have broad support in the community. Visit our funding partners page for a list of community supporters.
Highlights of OAR’s Impact (July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014)
- 3,491 total clients were served by OAR during the past fiscal year
- 123 community volunteers contributed 7,930 hours valued at over $195,395
- 1,249 clients participated in skills-based classes with 77% improving their self-sufficiency skills
- 140 post release clients obtained employment
- 23 clients were paired with a volunteer mentor with the relationship beginning during incarceration and continuing after release
- 1,531 family members or friends of an incarcerated loved one received information, referrals, and support in the lobby of the Adult Detention Center
- 137 individuals with domestic violence charges participated in OAR’s state certified Violence Intervention Program. 70% of participants successfully fulfilled the requirements of their program contract.
- 81% of alternative sentencing clients successfully completed their community service
For more information, view OAR's most recent annual report and financial documents.